The Modern Mandolin
Contemporary composer A. Paul Johnson's works area noted for their musical diversity and challenge, as well as their beauty. This collection of five works for mandolin orchestra explores the sounds of an instrument that is often only heard performing early music.
In addition to the mandolin orchestra, the Divertimento No. 4 features mandolin and harp soloists, while the Divertimento No. 5 features a flute soloist.
Join us on a journey through the various styles of mandolin playing with stellar performances by the Louisville Mandolin Orchestra and Sydney Mandolins.
- Serenade No. 1: I. Allegretto (03:34)
- Serenade No. 1: II. Adagio (04:09)
- Serenade No. 1: III. Allegro (01:39)
- Serenade No. 2: I. Moderato (03:09)
- Serenade No. 2: II. Passacaglia (03:51)
- Serenade No. 2: III. Rondo (02:32)
- Sinfonietta: I. Giocoso (05:14)
- Sinfonietta: II. Andante (04:14)
- Sinfonietta: III. Allegro moderato (02:09)
- Divertimento No. 4 (10:08)
- Divertimento No. 5: I. Allegro (01:55)
- Divertimento No. 5: II. Blues Adagio (02:53)
- Divertimento No. 5: III. Adagio Placido (01:05)
- Divertimento No. 5: IV. Allegro (05:05)
- Serenade No. 1 & Divertimento No. 5 - Sydney Mandolins & Adrian Hooper (Sally Treloyn, Flute)
- Serenade No. 2, Sinfonietta, & Divertimento No. 4 - Louisville Mandolin Orchestra & Jim Bates (Michael Schroeder & Louisa Ellis, soloists)